Schedule


You're My Belated Happiness releases every week Tuesday and Thursday at 11am PST.

Thursday, March 17, 2022

You're My Belated Happiness - Chapter 35 Part 1

Translated by Team DHH at http://dhh-workshop.blogspot.com.



You’re My Belated Happiness
Chapter 35 Part 1

Ruan Yu actually woke up unusually early the next morning, probably from sleeping on an unfamiliar bed and not used to someone else sleeping right next to her.

She woke up at the crack of dawn and the first thing she did was to grab her cell phone on the nightstand.

There wasn’t any new message on WeChat, but there was a text message from a strange number: [I have urgent business to talk to Huaisong. If you’re with him, please let him know. Zhou Jun.]

It was from her old high school classroom president whom she had just met at the birthday party. The message was sent at 2:07 am. Xu Huaisong was still on the airplane at that time.

They should’ve already gotten in contact at this hour, Ruan Yu figured.

She sent a message to Xu Huaisong to confirm it: [Are you off the plane?]

Xu Huaisong: [I just got out of the airport. Didn’t contact you because I thought you’re still sleeping.]

He added: [My dad is temporarily out of danger and has been transferred to the ICU. I’m on my way over there.]

Ruan Yu was relieved to hear that and superstitiously thought that the rainbow had actually brought some good news.

She replied: [That’s good. By the way, Zhou Jun is looking for you.]

Xu Huaisong: [I saw his message. But his cell phone is turned off now. He should contact me again if he needs to find me.]

They ended their exchange.

Ruan Yu was relieved to know that Xu Huaisong’s father was doing better. She quietly got off the bed and lightly breathed out a sigh of relief. Then she heard a rustling sound behind her from the bed.

Xu Huaishi was waking up. She said while rubbing her eyes: “Jiejie, you’re up so early!”

“Sorry to wake you up.”

“Has my brother gotten off the plane yet?”

Ruan Yu nodded: “En. Go back to sleep.”

Xu Huaishi somehow noticed something from Ruan Yu’s relaxed demeanor: “The problem is resolved?”

“As of now, but we still can’t let our guard down yet.”

Xu Huaishi wasn’t feeling sleepy anymore. Hearing what Ruan Yu said, she recalled the way Tao Rong whispered to Ruan Yu yesterday. She sat up and said with a frown: “Has anything happened to my father?”

Ruan Yu almost choked.

Was she really this bad at pretending?

“Aiya.” Xu Huaishi sighed: “I’m old enough already, why do they have to hide the truth from me? Then, is my father out of danger now?”

Ruan Yu had no choice but to tell her the truth: “En. But don’t worry, your brother is there.”

Xu Huaishi lowered her head. After a while. She bit her lips and said: “Jiejie, someone said that my father suffered a stroke because he committed too many sins.”

Ruan Yu didn’t know who this “someone” was, but could tell that she wanted to tell her something.

Ruan Yu went back to sit down on the bed: “Who said that?”

“A family member of a plaintiff.” Xu Huaishi took a deep breath: “Ah, Jiejie, I shouldn’t have told you this. My dad may not be a good person, but my brother is different. Please don’t think all lawyers are bad people.”

Ruan Yu was confused: “What exactly are you trying to say? You can tell me and it won’t change my opinion about your brother.”

Xu Huaishi hesitatingly quieted down. She mulled it over for quite a long time before continuing while holding onto her knees: “My father, he…… used to be a criminal defense lawyer, defending murderers. My parents got divorced not because there was a third person; they just have different outlook on life. My mom couldn’t understand my dad’s work and unable to accept the fact that we were living off the money from murderers…… I’m also very afraid of my father, I don’t like him……”

Ruan Yu paused before saying: “How about your brother?”

“At the time, he went with my father probably because of me. However, mom and I don’t know how he views my dad now. He studied law and became a lawyer as well. In my mom’s heart, she actually……”

Xu Huaishi didn’t continue. Ruan Yu nevertheless seemed to have a rough idea that this was the root of the estrangement between mother and son.

Xu Huaishi laughed: “But my brother isn’t a criminal defense lawyer, you don’t have to worry.”

Ruan Yu touched Xu Huaishi’s head: “Even if he’s a criminal defense lawyer, I won’t worry about it either.”

Xu Huaishi was surprised: “Won’t you be afraid?”

Ruan Yu thought about it then asked a question instead: “Will you be afraid of a doctor who has just saved the life of a severely injured criminal suspect? Or will you blame that doctor and question him ‘why do you have to carry out your responsibility as a doctor’?”

Xu Huaishi frowned; it seemed to make some sense to her, but she still couldn’t understand it fully.



Translated by Team DHH at http://dhh-workshop.blogspot.com.

2 comments: