Schedule


You're My Belated Happiness releases every week Tuesday and Thursday at 11am PST.

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

You're My Belated Happiness - Chapter 59 Part 3

Translated by Team DHH at http://dhh-workshop.blogspot.com.



You’re My Belated Happiness
Chapter 59 Part 3

Xu Huaisong continued to brush over her teeth a second time.

With the toothbrush in her mouth, Ruan Yu mumbled with a mouth full of foam: “Are you raising a daughter?”

Xu Huaisong lowered his head and laughed: “Don’t let your father hear this. It sounds like I’ve abducted his daughter.”

Ruan Yu rinsed her mouth clean and tilted her head to look at him: “Haven’t you?”

Ruan Yu’s question seemed to have reminded Xu Huaisong something. He put down the water cup and said: “At least I’m not abducting you to the US.”

Hearing it, Ruan Yu was a little taken aback and the smile on her face faded.

Xu Huaisong sighed and reached over with his hand to touch her face: “Do you know why I haven’t become a US citizen?”

She shook her head and frowned with confusion.

Come to think about it, he had been in the US for eight years and was quite accomplished. He should have met the requirements for applying for citizenship long ago.

“It’s because my father never mentioned this before he became sick. In the beginning, I thought he might have had other plans. But after he got sick and I went through some of his documents, I discovered that he had investments in China all along. Though we put down our roots in the US, he didn’t seem to have any plans on giving up his Chinese citizenship at all and didn’t plan to cut off all ties with what we have here. So I didn’t make any move on my own.”

“I have a mother and sister who have always hoped I would come back someday. I also have a father who doesn’t want to part with things here. But it’s you who offered me an opportunity to make a choice. I can be a lawyer in the US and in China as well. Eight years look like a long time, but in comparison to the decades ahead, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal, does it?”

Ruan Yu didn't know how true his words were.

But, just as she expected, he wasn’t going to bring her with him to the US.

Xu Huaisong smiled: “I’m truly happy that you’re willing to consider moving to the US for me. But just considering it is enough.”

Ruan Yu cast her eyes down and nodded. After a while, she asked: “Then, how about your father?”

“When his health is more stable, I’ll consult the doctors in the US to see when he would be able to ride on an airplane and whether he would be able to adjust to a new life in a new environment.”

Ruan Yu nodded: “Then, when are we going to the US this time?”

Xu Huaisong reached over to scrape Ruan Yu’s nose with his finger: “Just like what I said yesterday, I’ll go back by myself. The lawyer exam is coming up pretty soon, I won’t be gone for long this time. It’ll be too tiring for you to go with me and have to deal with jet lag.”

Ruan Yu disagreed and tried to persuade him to take her. She poked at his waist and hinted: “Are you willing to part with me……”

Xu Huaisong was a little stunned, then he realized what she was implying. He lowered his head and said: “Aren’t you going to have your period tomorrow? I’ll be gone just this week or so.”

“......”

Ruan Yu recalled Xu Huaishi’s advice: See how shrewd and calculating my brother is? For this kind of person, dating him is alright but absolutely don’t marry him!

Ruan Yu pushed him: “Go, go, go!”

Xu Huaisong took the flight that night to the US and would be back in less than half a month.

Ruan Yu’s screenplay project had been put on hold after the arrest of the investor. She was idle at home waiting for Xu Huaisong to come back. Then, she received a phone call from Fang Zhen.

It was from Fang Zhen’s personal number. Ruan Yu figured it shouldn’t be about anything official.

Ruan Yu picked up the phone and heard Fang Zhen ask: “Ms. Ruan, may I ask whether you can get in touch with Lawyer Xu? I can’t get hold of him neither with his US number nor the number here.”

Ruan Yu was surprised: “He’s on the plane now. You can get in touch with him with his number in an hour.” She frowned and guessed what might have happened: “Why are you looking for  him? Is there some news about Wei Jin’s case?”

Fang Zhen: “En. Lawyer Xu had mentioned to me privately before about a case his father handled about ten years ago.”

Ruan Yu’s heart suddenly started to beat faster: “Any progress with that case?”

“There’s a major discovery and it has been handed over to the Su City police already.”

“What discovery?”

“It’s not convenient for me to disclose it. If Lawyer Xu is concerned about it, he may contact the Su City police. I’m calling to let him know about this.”



Translated by Team DHH at http://dhh-workshop.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment